Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Super Easy Spinach Dip

I have a spouses group from B's squadron that I get together with every once and awhile for dinner/a get together. Our most recent get together was a pot luck and makeup party. I go through stages with food where I crave certain things all the time (does anyone else have this problem?). Most recently it's been spinach dip. I normally just buy it from restaurants, or TGI Friday's frozen version, but for our pot luck I wanted to try my hand at making it from scratch! I found a super easy recipe here.

I was nervous about picking a recipe with frozen vs. uncooked spinach- this one had uncooked.

So here it goes:


  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1 bunch baby spinach, rinsed (you need a TON of spinach- at least two bags)
  • 1/2 cup white wine (a nice chard)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • hot sauce to taste 
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (i added cream cheese instead)
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (this wasn't on there but i added it)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add garlic, baby spinach, and white wine. Cook until spinach is wilted. Mix in salt and pepper and hot sauce. 

I cooked the spinach for at least 7 minutes. And oh boy, does your kitchen smell good.
After the spinach is cooked, remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl.
Mix the green onion, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese (or mayo) and half and half into the bowl with the spinach mixture, and then transfer to a medium baking dish.

I found that I didn't use nearly enough spinach. It's hard to judge how much you are using when the measurement is a "bunch." I think next time I'm going to try one package of defrosted frozen spinach, and see if that adds a little more to the recipe.

Bake the mixture until bubbly and lightly browned, around 20 minutes.
Everyone loved the recipe (despite my lack of spinach). You can't really go wrong mixing cheese and white wine together and baking it...

Can't wait to try this recipe again and I would definitely suggest bringing it to a party!



I am so thankful to have found this group of ladies. They understand all that I am going through and I know that I'll be able to lean on them throughout Ben's deployment. We always have a blast and I am looking forward to our next get together! If you're a 3WS Spouse please feel free to shoot me a message on my facebook- we'd love to have you join us!


I wanted to bring a dessert to our little potluck as well, and decided to try these next Cheesecake Brownies by Pillsbury. Add some chocolate chunks on top and they are to die for. I would definitely suggest them as an awesome "out of the box" recipe!






No comments:

Post a Comment